Application Procedure and Deadline
The procedure for application to the MSSE program can be found on the application procedure page. Early application is encouraged for all candidates. The early application deadline is March 31. The final application deadline is July 1 for fall enrollment. We admit new students for the fall term of each year only.
The MSSE is a graduate program designed for professionals who are working full-time in a software development field and intend to remain employed full-time throughout the duration of the two-year program. We are unable to provide student visas for the MSSE program, and MSSE students do not qualify for graduate assistantships. Therefore, international students who are not already working in this country must obtain visas by their own efforts.
All candidates must meet specific criteria to be considered for admission, as detailed below.
- You must be currently employed with at least one year of full-time professional work experience in software development. Exceptions are granted only in very unusual circumstances.
- B.S. or B.A. degree in computer science or related field (mathematics, electrical engineering). Students with degrees in fields not closely related to computer science also may qualify with relevant work experience.
- Preferred undergraduate GPA of 3.0. Lower GPAs will be considered with substantial relevant work experience.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation. One letter should be from someone at your company who is familiar with your work experience and performance. The second may be from a current or former professor or another professional colleague. Do not submit letters of recommendation through the Graduate School Application. Letters should be submitted via the MSSE Online Application only.
- Minimum Internet Based TOEFL score of 79 or above (with section scores of 21 on writing and 19 on reading) or minimum MELAB score of 80 (Refer to Graduate School for more information).
- Must hold a valid H1-B Visa
- Admitted applicants are responsible for obtaining health insurance and covering international student fees assessed by the University.
- Early application is strongly encouraged.
Please note: This is a highly competitive program. The qualifications of admitted students usually exceed the above prerequisites.